Pages

Friday, July 3, 2015

Dinner and a Gift

Let's face it!  There are days when you have a little extra time.  They are few and far between.  In fact, they are so rare that one might be tempted to just sit and wonder that it is actually happening.  Most days, it is just crazy! 

It was just one of those days when I came up with the "Dinner and a Gift" concept.  I actually found myself with nothing pressing my time.  I knew I needed to make dinner and decided that I would make dinner for a family who had just had a new baby.

I wanted to make Stuffed Peppers.  However, I didn't have enough peppers for both families.  Therefore, the following recipe was developed.  It allows for two dinners out of one cooking session.  Enjoy!

Stuffed Peppers and Beefy Spanish Rice

3 large green peppers
1 pound ground beef
2 Tablespoons chopped onion
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
2 cups cooked rice
1 can chopped tomatoes with chilies (15 ounce)
1 can corn
3/4 c shredded mozzarella cheese, split in half

Cut thin slice from stem end of each pepper.  Remove seeds and membranes; rinse.  Cook peppers in enough boiling water to cover 5 minutes; drain.

Remove the stem from the thin top pieces of the pepper and chop the remaining pepper.

Cook and stir hamburger, chopped pepper and onion in a skillet until hamburger is light brown; drain.  Stir in garlic salt, cooked rice, and the can of tomatoes; heat through.

Divide the mixture in half, reserving half for the Beefy Spanish Rice.

Stuffed Peppers

Stuff each pepper with hamburger mixture; stand upright in an ungreased baking dish.  Cover; cook in 350 degree oven for 45 minutes.  Uncover; cook 15 minutes longer.  Sprinkle with cheese.

Beefy Spanish Rice

To the reserved meat/rice mixture, add 1 can of corn.  Mix well and place in an ungreased casserole dish.  Bake in 350 degree oven for 20 minutes.  Add the cheese and cover until cheese is melted.

We linked with The Weekend Blog Hop

3 comments:

  1. Great post! I love peppers! I will try this but I am a terrible cook!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds so good! Thanks for linking up at the Weekend Blog Hop at My Flagstaff Home!

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute your blog, just stopping by from Flagstaff home party! I am a big stuff pepper person !
    Thanks
    Maria

    ReplyDelete